Originally posted on LiveJournal by selkiechick. Reposted with permission.
Things to leave at home:
- Please consider going scent free for the convention, or at least limiting your use of perfumes. Perfumes are a very common allergen. I do understand that there are people who manage stress and anxiety with scents, but please keep in mind that what may be a lovely fruity scent to you, may make someone else quite ill, especially in enclosed spaces like elevators and panel rooms.
- If you have cats or dogs or ferrets or other furry family members, take the time to give your clothes a quick once-over with a lint brush to remove what excess hair you can. Con Attendees with allergies will be grateful for your thoughtfulness.
Things to make room for:
- If you do have allergies, please bring your medication. There will be service animals in attendance, and many other potential allergens, like perfumes, dusty books and a wide variety of foodstuffs.
- Arisia is a big convention- and the events are spread out, there may be much more walking than you are used to, and the floors are stone, concrete, or concrete with a little carpet. Bring some comfortable shoes, preferably with a little arch support! If you occasionally use mobility aids, seriously consider bringing them, to maximize your enjoyment of the convention.
- Bring a water bottle- stay hydrated. You'll feel better, and it will help keep away the con crud!
I hope everyone has a safe, enjoyable, healthy convention! If you have any questions or suggestions, please email access (at) arisia.org